02 June 2009

The Smells of Clean!

Today was an extremely long day of Spring cleaning at my house. Now it's nothing that June Cleaver would stand up and clap about, but it is nice to get an extra layer of dirt and grime off of things. After almost 6 solid hours of cleaning I thought to myself, "man! This smells nice!" The blue Pine Sol had really paid off. Then of course my mind faded back to thoughts of my Granny and what clean really smelled like. I have 2 associated smells with what clean really is...bleach and hot Tupperware.
Have you ever seen or used a wringer washer? That was a beast of a machine and I remember very vividly the one that was in my Granny's basement for years. I was always fascinated by that thing. It was the load of whites that instilled in me what "clean" really was. The aroma of bleach filled that dark basement and the gleam of all those white clothes and towels lit it up. Of course things were hung on the line and that only made the clean smell last longer.
Now about that hot Tupperware smell... I generally spent every Sunday at Granny's house. We had a very set schedule on how the day operated. First it was breakfast that usually consisted of eggs, bacon, and toast. Then it was Sunday Morning with Charles Kuralt. Her friend Mildred would pick us up for church and bring us back. She'd then make a ridiculously huge meal and we'd eat until it hurt....EVERY TIME! Then we'd do the dishes side-by-side. She'd wash and I'd dry. She had 2 old Tupperware tubs that fit nicely in the sink that we'd wash and rinse in. Now I'm not sure how hot Tupperware has to be before it releases that smell, but as the dryer it was my job to pull the dishes out of the sclading water and place them in the dish drainer before the skin melted off of my hands. I swear those old tubs were cooking right there in the sink! The dishes were clean though...so clean they made that sqeaky sound.
So the house doesn't smell like bleach or hot Tupperware, but it feels pretty good. I think I'll stick to my blue pine sol for next year's day of spring cleaning. I may even try to do a few more loads of just whites and use bleach just to remember how clean really smells.

2 comments:

  1. Growing up in our house, if I walked in and smelled original Pine-Sol, I knew Dad was cleaning, so that always reminds me of "clean". I prefer the Lavendar Pine-Sol myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love the things that remind us of someone special like that... I DO know what hot tupperware smells like, and you are right, it does bring memories of clean... although I think the smell that will always do it for me is Lysol Scrubbing Bubbles, I swear EVERY surace of the bathroom and a few in the kitchen were covered...and my husband LOVES the stuff too!

    ReplyDelete