31 August 2009

Tractor Ridin'

Over the weekend my oldest son and I got to ride in a cane cutter and a sprayer. He absolutely loved, as was expected, but it was really special to me too. I grew up ridin' tractors with my paw-paw and my dad. Paw-Paw had an old John Deere A that he'd drive down to check on the cows. I'd stand on the tongue of that thing and reach up nearly as high as I could to hang on to the back of the seat as he drove. An old metal bucket of corn clanged the whole way. It was magic...as soon as those old cows heard that tractor they would start bellowing and come running towards Johnny Put-Put. He'd stop the tractor in the pasture and it was like the disciples gathering around Jesus, their eyes fixed on him. He'd throw some corn to each one...and he made sure each one got the same amount. It was sad when his health deteriorated to the point that he was no longer able to take the tractor out to check the cows. I suppose it was around that time that my dad invested in a used, but well taken care of John Deere 3010. My favorite part was that it had fenders! No more hanging on the back. I went everywhere he went. We plowed, planted, mowed, scraped rocks, fixed fences, baled hay, moved cows from one pasture to another, plowed snow, and sometimes just rode around when there was nothing better to do. Dad has upgraded to a 4020 for most of his actual farming, but both the 3010 and the old A still sit in the barn. On those trips back home I still make it a point to get in a nice, long tractor ride before heading back South. Last summer I videod some of a ride he and I and my oldest son took. If nothing else, just enjoy the scenery and imagine yourself sitting on that fender on that perfect day in Illinois.



No comments:

Post a Comment