19 May 2009

Something Old, Something New

I was looking around my house today trying to decide what decor to go with or what knick-knack to stick where and came to the realization that even though it's a brand new house, I'd really like it to look old. I've always been drawn to old things and I suppose that's because I grew up around old things. My grandparents and my dad ran a small family farm in Clark County Illinois. As long as I can remember, they never purchased anything new to run that place except the seeds they planted. A the ripe old age of about 8 years old I was given the duty of learning how to drive the tractor that my paw-paw always to referred to as Johnny Putt Putt. It was a John Deere Model A, which was first produced in the 1930's. Kind of rugged for an 8 yr. old don't ya think? That tractor was the work-horse of the place. I can clearly remember my dad using "the ol' A" as he called it, to pull a one-row corn picker over about 80 acres of corn. He's since upgraded to a 5 row combine to get the job done, but "the ol' A" still putts out of the barn now and then.


Then I began thinking of my Granny and how she could amaze me with the things that came out of her kitchen. My realization...old things make it better. I used to tease her that she was the only cook on earth that could make boxed spaghetti taste good. And that's no lie! I loved it when she made boxed spaghetti. It wasn't better because she was old. The way she went about it was old, meaning everything she was taught was handed down to her, who had it handed down to them and so on and so forth. She didn't need the lastest and greatest in modern kitchen gadgets to get the job done. She had an old gas stove that had to be lit with a match, stoneware bowls, an old metal hand mixer, and most importantly the care to do it right.

So why do I love these old things so much? I guess it's because it keeps me grounded. Why are we constantly trying to upgrade our lives and keep up with the next person when there really isn't anythng wrong with the way we are now? I am thankful everyday for the beautiful house that I share with my family. It's complete with all the modern conveniences, central heating and air, city water, vents in the ceiling, yada yada yada. But if I had the chance to have my dream house it would be an old farm house with squeaky wood floors, a wrap around porch, wood-burning stove, and a kitchen that makes you smell hot blackberry cobbler by just looking at it. It would be a dream partly because I think those things are really cool, but mostly because I can appreciate the things that those old amenities have endured and the character that keeps them beautiful. When I'm "really old" I want to be described as that old farm house, and to do so I better stay grounded in the qualities that all these old things have taught me about. I also have an obligation to pass this old stuff along to the "new" in this scenario...my beautiful children. Everytime I go home to visit that old farm I'm going to make sure they get a ride on Johnny Putt Putt and maybe they will find their respect for all the cool, old stuff as well.

**footnote: The picture in this entry is of my dad on his tractor looking out over the pasture and my oldest son at 2 years old getting his first taste of "old stuff."

3 comments:

  1. I c U.

    That would be my idea of a dream house too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me of how great my old farmhouse is. I sometimes have the desire for a brand new house with all the latest and greatest, but my old farm house has way more character than any of those new ones ever will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a love of old houses is a Midwestern thing :) See, even 800 miles away you're still inspiring us back home :) Hope you are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete